Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Non-Verbal

The other day I was standing in line at Walgreens and in front of me was a mom and a little boy, probably around 3 years old. He was talking her ear off... "What's this?, "Look at that?" "Hey mom, why is that lady doing that?", etc. The mom was tolerating all the questions but not appreciating them. Kevin and I long to hear Will talk our ear off! To know what he is thinking, what is wrong, or what we could do for him would be so wonderful. Will is talking more and more. He loves the alphabet and numbers and he is can identify almost every letter! (And actually thanks to Grandma and Ni Hao Kai-Lan he can say a few of the Chinese letters too) Now he will tell you Bye and even blow you a kiss (he even does that to each car that drives by!) He can say Zebra, Hippo, Apple and will repeat the shows he watches on TV. He doesn't say the sounds correctly yet, possibly Apraxia or Dispraxia or maybe even a Auditory Processing Problem? Not really sure yet, might just be him learning the sounds. Nevertheless, the number of words are growing and that makes us quite happy!
Last night however, something was wrong with Will. It was bedtime and he was out of sorts. Usually it is time to go to sleep and he will get in his part of the bed, pull up the covers and cuddle into the nook of my arm ready to hear me sing his night time songs. NOT LAST NIGHT!! He kicked my butt. He was hitting, pulling my hair, crying, scratching, etc. It was not just because he wasn't ready to go to bed. He did this most of the night. So Kevin and I, trying to console him, put on his favorite cartoon "Sean the Sheep" and he was not interested. We both start worrying. Because Will is under sensitive to pain it is very possible when he fell off the couch head first, earlier that day, that he had injured himself, or maybe his stomach still hurt (we had just gotten over a stomach bug), or any number of things. But he could not tell us. He could just show us his unhappiness. So finally, I got him to take some Motrin and he slept for a few hours in a row. That has to be the most frustrating part of having Will be non-verbal at this time. I know he loves me and he does a good job of showing that. I am okay that he says Daddy and not Mommy. I just want to know what is wrong when he is hurting. So hopefully, one day in the near future he can talk my ear off and I will appreciate every moment of it!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Melissa!
    Our son JBear was the same at your son's age. Even at 2 1/2 after ST, he still couldn't have a conversation or tell us his ideas or opinions. But Floortime has been fabulous for allowing him to express himself. It is incredibly frustrating and seems to take forever. Hang in there. If you haven't read "Playful Parenting" by Lawrence Cohen, do so. It is a fantastic book with great Floortime play tips. So glad you are blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO feel your pain. Although my son is verbal, I yearn to hear genuine conversation. Keep on truckin' on!! You'll get there!!

    ReplyDelete