Sunday, October 5, 2008

Stop Staring People!!

We had kind of a crappy weekend. Daddy is out of town, at Cumberland Island camping with his friends and Grandma, me, and Will all go sick! Will never actually had a fever but you can tell when he doesn't feel good. Lots of banging his head and his chin on anything and everything. Took long naps both Sat/Sun and that is unheard of for him.
So Sun night I decide I am feeling better and I want to take the boys to the park to get some energy out. We play on the slide for a sec and run around the playground and then he was done with that! He saw someone had left their sippy cut out and of course ran straight to it.
Mommy~ "No Will, you have your own drink, this belongs to someone else.
Will ~ Bangs his head on the ground and goes limp so it is difficult for you to pick him up.
Everyone stares.
Then I follow him down the sidewalk and to the water fountain (which by the way was nasty! Had mold or mildew or something gross all over). So I let him turn it on/off for a while. Every time someone wanted a drink (gross!) I had to pull him back and he would bang his head and fall on the ground! People stare.
This is something I am used to and most days I don't even care when people stare but tonight it just bugged me! Poor Taylor only got to play on the playground for about half and hour and I had had it, we were going back home where we can bang our heads in the privacy of our own home!
So the moral of my little rant for the evening is this, when you see a kid that is throwing a fit and you think "what a little brat" or "that child needs a spanking" (all things I have thought of other kids before) just think that there might be something more to the story and have some compassion. Mom has a saying up in her room that she has always tried to teach us and I think it really applies to my rant, "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." ~Plato

4 comments:

  1. amen sister!
    soon more people will begin to understand.
    soon more people will have greater compassion.
    i truly believe this.
    let's continue plowing the road together, okay?
    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we all need to buy shirts that say "take a picture, it lasts longer." Stares are hurtful no matter how hard you try to fight it. I love the saying in your mom's room. It's right on! Autism is our battle, but EVERYONE has their own battles. None are easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom is right!

    I once considered buying some of those cards (like business cards) that say that my child is acting this way b/c he has autism and you hand it out to people in public places...I never did order them...we shouldn't HAVE to explain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son is also autistic but you wouldn't know it just by looking at him. I have the same problems you describe here. So much so, I have often thought about designing a t-shirt for for his sister, me and my wife that says "Excuse the dust... autism at work" that we can all wear whenever we go out in public and Tyler (my son) does the same thing (go limp, or hit us or other stuff like that).

    -Chris

    ReplyDelete