Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What is a sensory diet??

When I first saw this I was like "OH NO!!" but then I thought 'There is no way this child is over sensitive to sound'. Especially if you hear how loud he wants to put the tv or how loud he is in the bathtub (loves the echo). Will is definitely under sensititve to sound. So, we figured out he does this when there is a scary part in the movie. I guess it is his way to feel safe. Actually now that I think about it, I do this too when I don't want to hear a scary part in Kevin's gross Zombie movies.... Hmmmm not far from the tree I guess.

I am currently trying to learn about the sensory integration issues. It is kind of confusing to understand why paint on Will's hands makes him so crazy, how sitting in a box of beans is helpful, or even what a sensory diet is... I'm pretty sure Will has vestibular, propreoceptive, and tactile issues. I know he is under sensitive to sound and pain. We have Occupational therapy on Wednesdays and she said he is doing better. She said that most of his 'behavior problems' are because he is reacting to his sensory issues. (Some of it is being a 2 yr old as well I'm sure! : ).

Here is a picture of big brother Taylor getting in on the Sensory diet fun!
Click for a website that I think is helpful for setting up a sensory diet. Or this one, really you can just google sensory diet and there is a million sites to help.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you posted this b/c we totally need a sensory diet!!! And I take Matthew to OT on Wednesdays as well! :)

    Regarding your ocmment: I'd email you but I don't have your address! :) Chelation is going fine...only new issue is M's OCD behavior which I don't think is related to the chelation...I think it's more stress from being back at school but I'm not really sure WHAT to do about it. :( (See my post.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, now I feel like a BIG dork b/c I just saw your email address is posted on the left side of your blog. Sorry!!! :0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sensory issues can be huge! Your right there is a lot of information out there, its just getting your head round it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhh - love your blog! I am becoming a "follower!" ;-) We are on the same journey...keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete