Wednesday, August 13, 2008

We've been super busy

I haven't posted in a while. Partly because Taylor came home from Florida and we have been hanging out, school started, Dad started a new job, Will started Mothers Morning Out at Kidsplay Therapy Center, and we started going to church again (StoneMill). So you can see we have been really busy. Partly because of all that, but partly because I think I was expecting Will to just wake up and talk, to make these huge improvements overnight. We are moving forward, but I feel like it is one step forward and two steps back some days.


I think a lot of what is going on right now is the yeast die off but we will have to wait until our appointment with Dr. Sloan to find out. Most of the things that he was doing a few weeks ago have improved. He has been doing better with eye contact again, he has been saying Mom and Dad about every other day, but we have traded all that for some aggresive behavior. He is hitting, kicking, and pulling hair more than normal. He is doing it when he is mad and he wants to hurt you. Not sure yet on how to discipline him, we do a lot of putting him down and walking away, saying no, and trying to re-direct. I think I am going to skip to the chapter in my book about behavior problems.


He needs to be able to convey his wants/needs. We have just been waiting to see if coming out of the fog is going to help him find his words and it still might but we might need to move along to sign language or PECS. At this point I don't care how he tells me something as long as he can just tell me but at the same time I don't want to encourage not talking if it is going to be possible.


It is hard sometimes to be hopeful but realistic at the same time. But I guess we don't know what Wills reality is going to be.... so we can hope.

3 comments:

  1. We just started our own PECS. Our OT recommended taking pictures of the boys' actual objects. We print them off on regular paper and she laminated them for us. I want my own laminator so I can do pics anytime I want. She said hers was about $39.99 at Staples. Then we just placed sticky-sided magnets on the back and put them on the fridge. I need to start adding to our "starter" collection and make some categories. It's a real easy way to do it. She said they relate better to the actual pictures of their objects than the black and white cartoon ones, etc. Makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be both frustrating for them and us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy!
    You know, he is just too darn cute..I come here sometimes just to look at his pics!!! :)

    ReplyDelete